Sunday, December 7, 2008

Chicken Fiasco

No, it's not a new recipe....it's a disaster!! We have been losing our CornishX meat birds at a steady rate; despite me doing everything I know to stop the cycle of death!!

Now keep in mind, despite their robust size...these are fragile birds. Special care must be given regarding their feed and environment in order for them to thrive. I have been raising these birds for years and have never seen anything like this. All I can figure is that we got a bad hatch. Sometimes incubation temps will be off by a degree or 2 and it can really affect the development of the chicks. Here is a shot of the last 5 survivors. For now they are in the fish tank brooder until I know they are on their feet well enough to go back out to the brooder house or a brooder cage.

When we began to have so many losses, I called the hatchery. They were very understanding and are sending us a new batch of chicks. We have done business with them for years and this is the first problem we've had with any of their birds...we will continue to do business with them.

Our holiday birds are now out in the finishing pen. They are at about 8 pounds each and doing great. We will raise them for another week or so before putting them in the freezer.

No comments: