We have a friend with apple trees that produce more than she can use, so we will be canning apples later in the week also.We had a crisis with one of our bucks this week, Ditto developed urinary calculi and we had to do a minor surgical procedure on him. He is battling an infection now, but overall is doing much better than we imagined. Praise the Lord that he has been able to pull through this, we lost a very nice buck last year to this problem. He is such a beautiful buck and we hope that he will be fit to breed this year, but of course it is all in God's hands.
The incubator is bulging at the seams now with 55 eggs. Most are RIR's that will be our layers for next year but several are the CornishX that we are trying to hatch out for meat. I have misplaced my egg candler so I am waiting for the new one to get here.
The pigs are getting bigger every day. I am sure the female is pregnant now and we will be dividing their pen before she farrows. Once cool weather sets in we will butcher the boar. We've never had piglets before so this will be a whole new experience for us!
2 comments:
I have to tell you how much I enjoy reading about your canning.
You can things I had never dreamed of, and believe me, "back in the days," I did plenty of canning, jelly and jams, meats, any veggie we could raise. I still have my pressure canner and the "cold water bath canner."
We had outstanding potato crops, but I never knew they could be canned! I never thought of it either. We always gave bushels away and still lost many to spoilage. How is it done?
I never thought of canning milk either. At one time we bought fresh milk from a neighbor and she had milk to throw away.
I hope the ladies in the US are following your blog. I am sure many of us no longer can, but those that do, what they can learn!
Canning potatoes is easy! We can them in bite-sized pieces. We do some with chicken broth, some with beef broth, and some with just water. They have to be pressure canned for 40 minutes. Canning them in broth instead of water helps make a quick meal.
Post a Comment