We've had a rough Spring but we are moving along and the Lord is still blessing us every day and we praise Him for our blessings!
Our new LGD pup Koruma is coming along nicely....although she does enjoy a good turkey chase now and again. At 10 weeks old we don't expect too much. Thankfully her daddy (Aegis) is helping with her training. These dogs are phenominal! I thank God every day for sending them to us.
Aegis has dug himself a doggie cave inside the doe barn, just in front of the stall. In there it is dark and cool PLUS has the benefit of a good view of what is going on in the yard. Keep in mind he is well over 100 pounds...
I took this picture of our broccoli just before cutting the floret. We've got a nasty case of cabbage loopers and the broccoli is infested enough that I pulled it out. We've harvested a few little florets this year, maybe next year will be better.
Something new for this year is our Stevia plants. We have 2 of them and they seem to be doing well...and the plant munchers don't seem to care for them.
The cucumber wall was coming along nicely until my 4-legged plant pruner (aka Calie the goat) decided that if she tried really hard, stretched her neck out verrry long, clicked her heels two times and wished she was in Kansas.......YEP she reached it!
Lucky for her she is my best milker, and she only chopped the top off one of the vines. We are still harvesting 3-4 cukes a week.
Speaking of harvesting, our lettuce is finished this week. We have enjoyed fresh home-grown lettuce for weeks...making lettuce roll-ups, salads, sandwiches.....and we WILL be planting the Buttercrunch lettuce again! It was the best we've ever grown and it came in over and over again after harvesting.
Once the lettuce came out, we planted 2 watermelon vines. I have no idea how they will do in this spot, but it sure would be nice to get a home-grown melon or 2. Over the last couple years we have planted a small seedless variety....but this year we are going for the big guy. I bought 1 pot that had 2 plants...split them up and we'll see how they do.







2 comments:
Your garden sounds great! It's been too long since we've had a really good garden with all that wonderful produce coming to the table every day. I never thought about growing Stevia! I've really never even seen the plant. I think I'll give some of that a try. :)
Love your pics. I don't know that I've tried buttercrunch lettuce -- might have to consider that in the future. We don't eat a lot of lettuce and were not going to grow any this year but a friend asked us to grow him some Romaine -- and now that we did and I tried that, I really like it - probably will grow it again (more of it) next year.
Wish I had your talent for knowing how to use all those herbs...
Post a Comment