Monday, May 16, 2011

Nature....Wow!

Last week Bob found a rat snake behind his workshop.  That's not unusual, especially since his workshop is between the chicken coop and my milkroom.  When we find the snakes here we relocate them since rat snakes will eat eggs and baby chicks.  In this case, Bob took the snake across the road to our son Ben....to let him find a place to release it.

I could not believe that Ben actually got Kelli to hold the snake! 
But that wasn't the amazing thing.  What was so amazing is that the next morning, Bob noticed a snakeskin in a tree outside our back door.  By the looks of it, the snake had shed, then started to look for a meal....which is when Bob found it behind his shop.

Now for the amazing part.  I'll give you some perspective on where this freshly shed skin is.....
Keep looking....

Of course I knew that rat snakes could climb trees...after all eggs are one of their favorite foods...
But never could I have imagined that they could climb so high....
Wow!

6 comments:

by Chickory Blossom said...

do you have any idea how fortunate you are that i wasn't there when you found this???????

Savories of life said...

snakes are neat! Visit my blog

Sandi Jo said...

I am surprised that someone spotted it so far up in the tree! Wow!

Tonia said...

How in the world did you see the skin alllll the way up there??? We leave black snakes/Rat snakes alone here as they are good to have around. We havent seen very many snakes here at all. Maybe 2 in the 2 years we have lived here. Which is fine by me!!

Queenacres said...

It caught Bob's eye because some Blue Jays were up there causing a fuss. When he looked up to see what it was all about he noticed the skin.

Unknown said...

That changed my mind. No trees or shrubs near the big yard for the Girls. I think we'll just contstruct a shady awning, instead.