Friday, April 26, 2013

Puppies, Pies, and Big Changes

It's been a crazy week and a half.  Just like every spring, there are a lot of new faces around here...and a lot of changes. 
  1. The pigs are in the big pen.  They are now parasite free and getting fat....
2.  We've got 9 bunnies.  If they don't sell in the next week they're off to freezer camp...

3.  Moon Pie looks like a VW Bug.  She's still got another week to go.

4.  The biggest news of all....we've been waiting to announce that we were expecting a litter of Anatolian puppies.  Reserve was hit by a car about 10 weeks ago and suffered a serious pelvic fracture.  We tried to allow her to have sufficient recovery time before breeding her (like...another year!)...but she had other ideas.  We left the whole thing in God's hands....
We knew her due date was between the 15th and the 27th.  She was restless all weekend, and finally Tuesday evening she started scouting out a place.  I stayed up with her that night and finally Wed morning she was in earnest labor.
By noon I knew there was a problem.  By 1:00 we were at the vet's office and by 2:30 we had a healthy litter of 9 live puppies delivered via C-section.  There was a dead puppy in the birth canal blocking the way. 
 This will be the one and only litter for Reserve, we opted to have her spayed during the surgery to prevent any future problems.  We were hoping to do this again one day....but it is just not worth the risk to her.
I will be updating Aegis' page with the puppies' progress...we've got 9 new livestock guardians to start training and begin the process of finding the right homesteads & farms for each one.
They are purebred Anatolian Shepherds....but they have 2 sires.  2 of the puppies I can identify positively as Aegis'....the 2 solids.  The 7 pintos could be either Aegis' or Epoch's. 
Either way, they should be excellent dogs.
For now I'm enjoying every moment of our first & last litter of Anatolian puppies.

3 comments:

MyAdventure;MyLife said...

Puppies are cute but I remember the headache Suzie's pups gave me. I couldn't wait to be rid of them. I still have one, Hershey. Congratulations on your beautiful pups! And good luck with the bunnies!

Kelly said...

Congratulations on your puppies!!!! Moonpie does look big. My girl is getting bigger, her udder is getting harder, and her teats have moved down more. I don't know what this means but it's something new ☺

Unknown said...

Congratulations, Girlie! Now all you need is to dive into breeding goldfish. LOL

That plate of yours is plum crammed with babies! And guess what....

We had our first drop yesterday morning! Black long-legged Bull Calf. And he is adorable! Waiting to get good photos to go with the post. It was a nightmare of a day!