Yep, I'd say it's safe to say that winter has hit. Oh my do I ever hate the cold!
One of our projects for this year is to buy and install a wood burning stove...unfortunately it's not budgeted for until the end of Feb. Until then, our kerosene heater does pretty good at keeping us warm.
The bucks have even learned to get along during this cold snap so they can keep each other warm...
Last year we installed frost-free hydrants, but with this extreme cold they have frozen at the juncture from the well. Since 4 of our does are in milk, water is even more important. The goats' water buckets only have to be broken up and a bit of warm added, but when I'm late getting out there persistence pays off...
The Rhode Island Red pullets were just moved from the brooder a few weeks ago, but seem to be doing pretty good despite the freeze...
Even the 2 mutt chicks are doing well...
The does are enjoying an extra feeding of alfalfa pellets every day to help keep them warm...
We did manage to get one of the pigs butchered, I'll be spending the day doing the finer cuts and wrapping the meat. About 150# of meat from pig 1....pig 2 will wait for a warmer day.





No comments:
Post a Comment