Friday, October 17, 2008

Fall Chores

Besides all the things going on in the house, we have a number of chores to take care of outside. The 2 big chores we'll be working on this weekend is hoof trimming and cleaning the outbuildings. I despise the cold, it stays so wet and dreary during the winter months, so I get as much done as possible while the weather is nice.


Hoof health is very important with the goats. This time of year the ground stays cold and moist, which is not a good combination if the goats have overgrown or sore feet. The does are all bred now, and the bucks are going out of rut. This is the time of year when they will fatten a bit before winter. We've cut milking back to once a day, and to every other day for 2 of our first fresheners. I am praying that the freshenings are spread out enough so that we will have milk year round, we'll see. The goats didn't cooperate at all when it came to planned breedings this year. Our first kids are due around Christmas, it is a Satin X Callie breeding and I am REALLY looking forward to these kids.

Here is Satin at 16 months:

And Callie as a first freshener:

They both have outstanding pedigrees and should produce some very nice kids. With her freshening around Christmas/New Years, we should have winter milk. YAY!

No comments: