We started "Fall Cleaning" today. Each day this week we'll concentrate on 1 room of the house and de-clutter and clean. I will be Freecycling like crazy all week, and then Saturday make a trip to Goodwill to take whatever is left.
We started today with the kitchen. Everything comes out of the cabinets, is sorted, and organized. Then we hit the drawers. Oh my, what a project! If I can talk myself into getting rid of it, it's outta here! Next are the lower cabinets. Pots and pans I forgot existed. I figure if I haven't used them this year, it's time to move on.
Also on the to do list today was making our Fall chick order. We ordered 25 pullets that will become our layers for next year. Also on the order was.......*deep sigh*.......6 Rhode Island Red cockerels. We lost our last red roo this summer and will be starting with a new guy. We'll pick the best 1 or 2 roos from these six and put the rest in the freezer. Also on the order is a batch of Cornish Rock chickens for meat. We plan our meat chickens for fall and spring because they do not tolerate heat well. The new peepers should be here around Thanksgiving.
2 comments:
ah -- I could have given you a great Rhode Island Red Cockerel -- we had three from this year's batch of chickens (hatched ourselves by a momma hen) and I hate that I'm going to have to butcher them. They are so beautiful.
Actually their daddy is a beautiful full-blood New Hampshire, which won best-of-breed in the Kansas State Fair, and the momma is a full Rhode Island Red. These young cocks have turned out beautiful - almost larger than their daddy and wonderfully colored. I wish someone needing them for breeding so I wouldn't have to butcher! :)
Tracy, what a shame we don't live closer. We were on our 5th generation of RIR's when our neighbors maurading dog killed many of our birds this spring (including our Thanksgiving turkeys). I have a 4th gen roo, but he is mixed with Americana. I have crossed and kept the best hens, crossing with some game birds, production birds, etc....but my roos were true blue.
Post a Comment