Our chixperiment is progressing better than I expected, with our live chick count at 23.

We are very pleased with our results so far, the chicks are healthy and growing. This is Angus, the rooster....along with the 3 CornishX hens that have produced all the chicks.
I have been adding eggs to the incubator every 5 days or so....until this week. I was planning to collect the eggs one evening when to my surprise, there were none. I knew there had been at least 7 in the nest that morning...so my first guess was that we had a snake in the henhouse. Levi pulled up one of the floorboards to the adjacent hay storage area and sure enough.....
This guy is well fattened and should make it through the winter just fine while he settles into his new home a-w-a-y from our home!
1 comment:
We had the exact same issue with a snake in our midst and we deal with it just as you do. Had one stealing a duck egg every day (just one per day).
We relocated him/her to a nice swampy area about 40 miles from our house (we wanted to make SURE he wouldn't find his way back, and we were going that way anyway) ROFL.
Tracy
Post a Comment