Well it's been wet here for 3 full weeks. The kidding barn/stalls are very dry and cozy however the pen is muddy. And icky. Lexi has had enough. She's at her wit's end with this endless confinement and poor accomodations and has discovered the art of complaining. Loudly.
Her babies have started dropping today....her ligaments are softening, and she's getting her little first freshener udder. At 12 months she's a big girl....and I think she might have twins....
Meanwhile the 2 little barn princesses are outside full time now, are disbudded, and are doing fine in their stall without a heat lamp at night. They are downing 3 qts of milk each per day....not bad for girls!
Remember that song from Sesame Street? "one of these things aren't like the other"..."one of these these just aren't the same.." Look at the line-up picking hay scraps from the feeder after breakfast this morning...




4 comments:
Poor Lexie! Your little doelings look great! I love the color of the little gray one. Too funny about your chicken hangin' out with the turkeys! I'm really wanting to get some Bourban Reds.....can you encourage or discourage me? LOL
We have bourbon reds, too, "the Goodwife" :) They are wonderful birds so far, and we hope to hatch chicks from them this coming spring.
Susan - great photos! I love you describing the 'room service' ROFL. But how do the rolaids help?
I have found the Bourbon Reds to be very hardy. Our turkey eggs are hatching and we've got 9 out and doing well so far this year. They're good foragers too...
Tracy...I give them the Tums or Rolaids for a little extra calcium, not sure that it really helps, but it makes me feel better and they like them. I give 1 every day for the last couple weeks of pregnancy and for the first couple weeks of lactation.
I love Lexi's colors!! Hope kidding goes well and she doesnt make you wait to long.We have 3 weeks till the first 150day due date!...
My mom raised bourbon reds for a while and they seem to be pretty hardy for turkeys! Hers were like pets and liked to chase cars.. Well one tom in particular.. He would start drumming when you started the car and puff up!lol..
Post a Comment