Saturday, January 8, 2011

New Year, New Experiences!

The last few days of 2010 were pretty busy around here.  Not only was I dealing with the stress of Daydream's inconsistent labor signs....
But Hank managed to break his femur jumping off my lap....leaving us with the need for ear plugs and him with the need of a vet!  As you can see, he's much more comfortable now...and eating up every ounce of extra attention that this has brought him....
At about 8pm on New Year's Eve.....Daydream went into serious labor and delievered a huge set of triplets in a matter of 20 minutes.

We got them clean and dry, got colostrum into them....got warm molasses water into Dreamy and got ready for bed.  Early the next morning we started our routine as usual....kids get fed before anything....and started our day.
It wasn't long before I realized that the kids had a problem.  By 8pm the doe had crashed and was all but dead; the 2 bucks were too weak to stand.  Rebekah and I worked on them all night and did everything that we could for them.  It wasn't until the next day that I thought of Selenium. 

Selenium deficiency has never been a problem for us because we live in a selenium rich area and we've always bought local hay.  Well, for the last year we've been buying out of state alfalfa hay!  It was a stupid mistake on my part.  They've had 2 injections and we are still working with them around the clock.  We're calling them our miracle boys but they are not out of the woods yet....
On the left is Queenacres FivoClock Somewhere and on the right is Queenacres Finally Friday...

Now for the really great news!  Yesterday morning Faith had that "look" in her eye so I was watching her...within about 10 minutes I knew she was ready to go to the kidding stall.
I got her all settled in and continued doing chores when I realized that Happy was nowhere to be found....I found her grunting and pushing up in the old doe barn.
So there they were, the two old ladies of the herd....both consider themselves herd queen.....grunting and pushing like it was a race to see who has their babies first....and insisiting on being in the same stall!
Happy won the race.....with little miss QA no name for now.  A beautiful 7# 5.2 oz doe kid!
Within a minute Faith delivered a beautiful 8# 8.4 oz girl we've named QA Faith's Fiona

Being that she's out of my favorite doe, has a quirky personality, and how about those markings??!!  She'll be staying here!
Yep, she's a superstar!!

Well that sums up our first week of 2011!

3 comments:

Tonia said...

So sorry you lost the doe! But that last one is definitely a beaut! I woudl be keeping her too!
Mine arent due till Valentines but they are all starting udders. Which is their normal.. The count down is on the downward slope!

Mama Mess said...

Sorry you lost your little doe, but glad to hear the bucks are holding on. Glad your old ladies each delivered healthy kids!

Also glad Hank is ok!

Unknown said...

Absolutely adorable! Gorgeous markings, too! Sad to hear of losing your doe. I hope there will be no more downside for you this year. You're gonna have your hands full and they deserve good turnouts!