I have been playing with a hearty-nutty-grainy bread recipe that utilizes some of the things we produce here and I've really hit on a couple of good batches I thought I'd share with yall. Here are some of the basic ingredients... (besides of course all purpose flour-not pictured)...
First you start by measuring and gathering all of your dry nutty stuff......like Buckwheat Flour (1/2 cup)...Flaxseed Meal (1/2 cup)....
Steel cut oats (about 3 T - these add great texture)
I have used regular old Fashioned Oats for this and it works well, but then I found this neat 5 grain cereal mixture and it works well too....(1/2 cup)
White millet....about 2 T of this....
And Sunflower seeds...be sure to get unsalted. I add up to 1/2 cup or so of these.
The next step is to toast the sunflower seeds and white millet in a skillet until toasty brown...this brings out a lot of flavor and gives the nutty flavor to the bread. Once toasted, set them aside to cool.....and be careful not to burn them! (easy to do)
Now to decide on the wet portion of our bread....I have used our homemade buttermilk for a very rich yummy bread...
But the newest liquid I've used is our homemade Dandelion Beer...
You can use milk, water, just about any liquid you want to try. The most important thing is that whatever you choose, you will need 1 1/2 cup of it....and it will need to be warmed to about 100º F. Too hot and you'll kill your yeast.....too cool and your yeast won't wake up.
Speaking of yeast, you need 4 1/2 teaspoons...
Next you need sugar. The yeast has to be fed once you wake it up! I usually add a bit (just a Tablespoon or so) of a good quality molasses....mainly it adds a nice brown color to the bread. Plus I add just under 1/3 cup of white or brown sugar.
Stir together your yeast, your liquid, and your sugars. The yeast should start to come to life.
Next you need a fat. Don't skimp here. Use a good quality olive oil or better yet, salted butter that you've melted. By using salted butter you don't have to add salt. :) If you use olive oil, add 1 tsp salt. You need 1/3 cup of the fat of your choice.
Mix in the oil and all of the grains.....and add enough all purpose flour to make a good stiff dough. Place the dough into a well greased bowl and cover with a damp cotton cloth. Allow it to rise until it doubles.
Divide the dough into 2 halves and shape into loaves. Cover again and allow to rise until nearly doubled.
Bake in a 350º oven for about 30 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from pans and place on a cooling rack.....slather well with butter as they cool.
Slice it while it's warm and spread plenty of home canned butter onto the slice....then just sit back and count your blessings! This is heaven on a plate!
Once the second loaf is cool.....bag it up and share it with a friend. :)














1 comment:
i am SO glad you shared this recipe. the loaf you sent my way a couple of weeks ago was AMAZNG!!! i will be making this asap! loving the versitility with the liquids and the fats, too. well done, sista!!!
Post a Comment