Thursday, November 22, 2012

Coconut Goat Pie

We celebrated Thanksgiving Day a day early here, since both of our daughters have to work on Thursday.  First, Hank got to be the honorary pilgrim.  You can see that he was thrilled to play the role...
I didn't get pictures of family and friends and food.  I was busier than a homesteader on Thanksgiving.  Our menu consisted of:
Oven Roasted Turkey
Deep Fried Turkey
Smoked Duck
Green Bean Casserole
Candied Sweet Potatoes
Corn Casserole
Mashed Potatoes
Gravy
Stuffing
Dinner Rolls
Pumpkin Pie
Pumpkin Spice Cookies
Green Stuff

And Rebekah brought a store-bought coconut cream pie.  Which is where the fun began.
You have to imagine all of us working and getting things ready.  Keep in mind that Rylan is 20 months old and very mobile.  Our huge concern was keeping him away from the turkey fryer; so when we had him in the house we weren't as concerned with watching his every move.  Usually he plays well with his toys and stays out of trouble.
Which he did.
Until he saw.....the coconut cream pie on the table.
Within reach.
It took him about 1.3 seconds (which is way faster than any of the adults move) to grab it and flip it cream side down onto the floor.
I scooped it up and sat it aside.  Once the meal was over and we were too stuffed to move, I started the job of cleaning the kitchen and saw that pie.  I thought the goats might like a bite of pie for Thanksgiving. 
They LOVED IT!
One goat in particular, DoSiDoe, has a big sweet tooth; and I'm glad for it.  She recently had a sudden illness and dropped a lot of weight.  If it had not been for that sweet tooth I don't think she'd have survived.
Since she still needs to gain a bit of weight, she got extra pie...
Of course, Angel got some too...
Silly enjoyed it too...
Is it just me, or did Fiona stop looking at pie and start looking at Pete?

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

No comments: