Thursday, July 16, 2009

I love the smell of propane burning in the morning...

Call me Hank Hill, but somehow it is a comforting smell. I brings back memories of living out in the middle of the woods. Our boys were very small (2 & 4), and neither girl had made their appearance into our family. We had a propane stove and I would get up early to start cooking before the heat of the day.
Back then we had only 1 window AC unit, and it stayed in the master bedroom. We would get our chores done all morning so that once that temp was up in the 90's in the house....we could huddle together on that huge king sized bed that filled the master bedroom. The air conditioner would blow for hours and the boys and I would read, tell stories, and take naps. Long cool naps in the heat of the day. We didn't have tv, or video games. We had the company of each other, woods to play in, and animals to watch. And that big window air conditioner that hummed us to sleep every evening.

The other large appliances in the house, the water heater, clothes dryer, and stove....all ran on propane. I spent a lot of hours in front of that big green stove cooking and canning.

A lot has changed since those days. The boys are grown and out of the house, a house now that has all electric appliances. Cooking on an electric stove just doesn't conjur up those memories for me.. But this morning, before the girls wake up, before we feed animals and milk the does, before we eat breakfast.....I fired up the propane burner. It is hard at work running the canner so that at the end of the day we can enjoy the cool hours of the evening, in front of a window ac unit, and have 9 more pints of milk preserved on the pantry shelf.

1 comment:

Mama Mess said...

I just have to tell you........I LOVE HANK HILL!

Isn't it wonderful how smells can bring us back?

I can milk as well, to use in the winter when I don't have does producing. It's a good feeling to get food put by!

Have a great day!

sarah