Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Preserving the milk harvest

We started canning milk last year and it has become an important part of our pantry inventory. We primarily use the milk for kids in the spring, but it is also nice to have for baking and cooking during the fall and winter. I use the instructions from the book "Goats Produce Too"...it's a simple pressure canning method.
  1. Wash and sterilize jars (9 pints or 7 quarts for each canner load)
  2. Filter milk and pour into jars, leaving 1" headspace.
  3. Cap jars and place into the pressure canner
  4. Add 3-4 inches of hot water to the canner and attach the lid.
  5. Bring the canner to a full boil and begin venting steam.
  6. Allow canner to vent for a full 10 minutes, then begin building pressure.
  7. Bring pressure to 15 pounds and hold for a full 10 minutes.
  8. Turn off heat and allow the canner to cool until pressure drops to 0.
  9. Open vent and let it sit for 10 minutes.
  10. Remove lid from canner and allow the jars to cool overnight.
  11. Remove rings from jars, check seals, wash jars, mark and date them and store at room temperature.

The milk will keep for 6-8 months. Our does are in their 5th month of lactation, so I will be getting some milk put up now for the dry months. The canned milk is also good to have if you have a kid buyer that wants the kid raised on pasteurized milk. Any milk left in the pantry past 8 months old is fed to the dogs, chickens, or pigs.


2 comments:

Michelle said...

Can you can regular store bought milk too?

Queenacres said...

I don't think it would be cost effective compared to buying commercially canned evaporated milk. If I didn't have the goats producing, that's how I would stock my pantry with milk.