Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Rice A Phonie

I've been busy putting up more dry mixes, I'm shooting for a goal of 6 months worth since I think that's about the shelf life of these. Many of the recipes that I have are for soups, but I also have a few for side dishes as well. Today I mixed up Chicken Rice a Roni type side dish. This one is really tasty and much more economical than the boxed stuff.

I put these into zip bags and then place the zip bags into a food saver bag before vac sealing. This keeps the pasta from poking holes in the food saver bag.

Chicken Rice a Phonie Mix

1 1/2 cups long grain rice

1/2 cup broken vermicelli (La Moderna makes a 1" vermicelli that is perfect for this)

2 T dried onion

1/2 tsp garlic

1/2 tsp thyme

2 T dried parsley

2 T chicken bouillon powder

Combine all the ingredients in a baggie or other container.

To Prepare:

1 package of Mix

2 T Butter

4 1/2 cups Water

In a 2 quart saucepan combine the butter, rice mix, and water. Bring the mixture to a boil and cover. Reduce heat to low and simmer covered for about 20 minutes or until done.

No comments: