Sunday, November 1, 2009

The Holidays are Coming!

Every year in October a nearby town hosts a festival called the Yamboree. By the end of October the sweet potatoes are sold at roadside stands all over East Texas. During the year we don't eat a lot of them, but over the holidays we go through a lot! This weekend I was busy canning and put up 11 quarts of the beauties.
Of course because we don't waste anything here, I also canned the 2 quarts of simple syrup that I had left from the potatoes. I can use this later on with other fruits.I had enough mushrooms left to make 1 pint, so I put it in the canner with a load of potatoes. Big mistake due to the different processing times, much of the liquid left the jar of mushrooms. It sealed fine, we'll just need to use this jar first.

Speaking of mushrooms....I stumbled upon these beauties at the store this week...what a haul for less than 10 bucks!The mushrooms on the left are washed and sliced baby bellas. They went straight into the dryer and looked like this at the end of the day:These dried mushrooms are fantastic to have on hand and keep for years if properly stored.

Next I got to work on the buttons. They had to be rinsed thoroughly, then soaked in cold water for 10 minutes to get them ready to can.

They are canned with a little citric acid in the water and are pressure canned for 45 minutes for pints.All of these sweet potatoes and mushrooms will be great to have on hand with the upcoming holidays. It's beginning to feel like fall!! By the way, 5 pints of button mushrooms, a pound of dried baby bellas and 11 quarts of sweet potatoes....for about $20 total!

2 comments:

The Girl in the Pink Dress said...

Wow, what a deal! I never find mushrooms for a good price, which is too bad, as I love them! What kind of a food dryer do you have? I've looked at dehydrators, but they are so expensive!
Do you use a pressure canner? I live in Canada, and for some reason, I simply cannot find one. Someone told me it was the same as a pressure cooker, but then someone else told me it wasn't, so I'm pretty confused. Any idea?
The Girl in the Pink Dress

Queenacres said...

Yes, mushrooms must be done in a pressure canner. My dehydrator is one of those cheap round ones, in fact I have 2 of them. They have always done a great job for me.