It all started with the lard from our newly butchered hog....We cut it into chunks and placed it in a cast iron dutch oven over a very low heat.......
After hours of simmering and stirring, the bits of golden fat rise to the top as the pot fills with the oil it has released....Once the yummy golden nuggets are sizzling and crisp, it's time to scoop them off the top of the pot to let them drain....
Lightly salted, the cracklins can be sprinkled into a fresh slice of bread folded over and eaten as they are. They are a decadent snack...but winter is coming! Tonight they are going into cornbread.
This cast iron pool of lovliness reflects several months of hard work and God's blessings.
It began on March 12 and the rendered lard (about 3 qts) you see above will be turned into soap made with love by me. No wonder I love fall so much! It is the season of reaping the blessings that God has given us; followed by the season of giving!





3 comments:
We love the soap. But you have not tasted homemade biscuits until you make them with lard!
My mother-in-law, rest her pure heart, would never use anything else.
I tried for years to match her biscuits, finally, when I was out of my brand of shortening, I borrowed from a neighbor. Guess what, she insisted I try the lard. I am so glad she did.
Just like in Laura Ingalls Wilder! I read about the 'cracklings' and couldn't really imagine it. Now I know!
The Girl in the Pink Dress
Enjoying reading your blog. I have passed on your poultry group info to some friends, telling everyone to check out my "cousins". Hope your family had a great Thanksgiving and will have a wonderful Christmas.
I greatly enjoyed reading about your butchering...can't wait until I am at that point...something to look forward to and new things to learn.
Post a Comment