Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Twas 2 days before Thanksgiving....

Okay, so I'm a little late catching up on my blog.  We have been SO busy, but I should be able to catch up today.  This was the first year in 20+ that I did not host the Thanksgiving meal.  This year mom wanted to do it and in exchange I get to do Christmas Dinner.  Of course that doesn't mean that we didn't cook or that we were not busy....in fact it all started 2 days before Thanksgiving, getting turkeys ready to deep fry.



They were store bought turkeys this year, we'll try again next year with raising some.  Step 1 to deep frying is injecting the marinade.

One bottle per bird works well, and we did 4 birds in all.  Next is the rub.  I apply the rub liberally to the birds inside and out...


Once you think you've added enough rub....flip 'em over and rub more...

The rub is what salts the meat and helps the skin crisp nicely.  Once done we wrap them up and put them in the fridge for 2 days.


And look at how yummy it is when done!!

4 comments:

The Girl in the Pink Dress said...

Mmmmm. My DH hates turkey but he might like this!
Glad to see your back- I really enjoy your blog. However I know how busy you must get.. looking after a homestead is hard work and time consuming...but rewarding!
The Girl in the Pink Dress

Carol said...

I had not heard of deep fried turkey until a couple years ago. I would love to try it. Maybe Christmas? So, thanks to this blog I will know how. I just assumed you heated the oil and dropped the turkey in!
I love your blog.

Queenacres said...

Thank ya'll for the comments!

Keep in mind if you are going to fry a turkey, keep the weight between 10-12 pounds. Any more than that and the skin will burn before the inside of the bird is cooked. When you put the turkey into the hot oil, you have to bring the bird to room temp a couple of hours before frying and slowly dipping it into the oil and pulling it out. It takes about a minute or two to get it completely dunk the bird. Your cooking time starts once the bird is in the oil on it's own...15 mins per pound for a 10-12 pound bird will do. We'll be frying another one at Christmas and I will try to remember to get pics of the whole process.

Queenacres said...

That's 3 minutes per pound....NOT 15 mins per pound!! Sorry!!