The results were some birds with interesting markings, some with red some with black markings on white bodies. They have grown out well, these are 12 week old birds. They were raised on chick starter, scraps, and chopped corn.
So far I've dressed out 4 of them. Their dressed weight averaged between 3-4 pounds....perfect fryers. They are quick to pluck and although they don't have the broad breast like the cornish cross, they are certainly much more meaty than heritage breeds.
We will be keeping the largest 4-5 hens and a couple of roos for breeding in the spring, and see if these birds will continue to provide meat for the family without having to buy chicks from the hatchery or chicken from the grocery store.
Another project we did this week involved 2 bushels (100#) of sweet potatoes. Thanks to the grocery stores' price wars we were able to buy them for .18/pound last week!! Since sweet potatoes do not store well, we knew we had a job getting them canned before any spoiled. It took us a whole day and 3 pressure canners, but we managed to get them all done....15 pints and 39 quarts...54 jars in all!




3 comments:
WOW! That was a lot of work. I know because I canned sweet potatoes for a few years many moons ago.
Congratulations is all I can say.
It was a lot of work, but we put up a year's worth of sweet potatoes for less than $20!!
We kept some of the fresh ones for the goats (they are a good supply of copper and other minerals), but most of them went into jars.
Thanks for the comment!
Hi Queensacres! I enjoy your blog as well! Thanks for the tip about cooking the goat meat. I'm excited to try it. I hope that your have a wonderful Christmas season!
Post a Comment