Sunday, January 24, 2010

Veggie Chips and Drying Carrots

My dad does a lot of juicing.  A LOT of juicing.  I was thinking about it one day and wondered what happened to all the pulp once he was done.  Apparently there's not a lot of nutrition left in it once the juice is out...but I figured that somehow it could be used.  So I had him save a bit of pulp and I'm experimenting with making some veggie chips for my goats as snacks.


Since the pulp is a little dry, I used an egg as a binder before making it into "cookies"....


We'll see how they dry and how the goats like them.  I'm sure something will like them even if the goats don't; and it's using up something that would have otherwise been thrown away.
Also this week I found a special on those little baby carrots.  I found them for 4 for $1.00!  I bought 40 pounds ($10 worth) and started drying them as well. 
A lot of them are going to the goats as treats, but I will dry at least 30 pounds of them by splitting them down the middle and putting them in the food dryer.  I would can them, except I have already canned a years worth.  I can dry them and vac seal them and they should be good for 5 years or so.


No comments: