Early this morning I heard the call of the Pileated Woodpecker that threw me off track watching him pick at a neighbor's tree.
Anyway, I got milking done....here's a look at what we're up to now (Daydream's pitcher isn't in the pic).
And we got back to making cheese. Because of the cold weather, our buttemilk isn't quite ready...but we have the store bought buttermilk that we used to start our own....so that's what we used today to start our cheese.
Once the milk is filtered, we measure out 5 quarts and warm it to 80ºF.
Next add 1/2 cup cultured buttermilk and stir well.
Then I add 1/2 tablet of rennet dissolved in 1/4 cup of filtered water....
Once you stir it well, put a lid on the pot and let it sit for at least 6 hours...until you have good firm curds. Once the curds are formed, pour into a sanitized muslin square...
Gather up the muslin and hang it until the curds stop draining (which will be in the morning). I use a wooden pants hanger, hung from my kitchen cabinet to drain the curds....
Which is where we are tonight.
Also today I found several pounds of mushrooms on sale. The dryer is full of them now.
Oh...and we canned a canner load of goat milk today. Told you it was busy!








2 comments:
I can't wait to see the finished cheese. I think when I made my Chevre, I drained it too long. It had the consistancy of real fine curd cottage cheese......or is that right? It wasn't creamy, it was dry. Feels good to stay busy doesn't it? :)
Sounds like maybe you either drained it too long or put in too much rennet. This recipe that I use is from the book "Goats Produce Too" and using just plain Junket rennet it comes out great every time.
Post a Comment