This year has been an amazing year for cherries! We rarely ever get to put many of them up since they don't grow in this area, but his year has been a real treat. They have been plentiful at the grocery stores all summer. Ever since I made that batch of peach & pecan preserves I've been thinking about doing something similar with cherries. I used 12 cups of cherries, wash, stemmed, and pitted them. I put them in a big stockpot with 14 cups of sugar and just enough sugar to keep them from scorching (maybe 1/2 cup). Meanwhile I took 1 pound of whole almonds and spread them on a baking sheet. Bake them in a 350 oven for about 5-7 minutes until toasted, then add them to the cherry mixture. Add vanilla extract (I used about 1/4 cup of my homemade vanilla) and almond extract (about 1/4 cup of homemade almond extract) and stir well. Simmer over a low heat for about 3 hours, stirring occasionally. Bring to a fast rolling boil and add 1 package of powdered pectin. Boil hard for 3 minutes and then place into jars and seal.

2 comments:
How fascinating! I have never thought of combining fruit/nut (cherry/almond, peach/pecan) for perserves! I'll be it really tastes great!
Still hoping to drop by and see you at the end of September. Don't have my itinerary done yet, though :)
THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH... as in one huge one, Lady!
Your sharing is helping with yanking the intimidation out of me. Everywhere I read in all the books - they scare me into thinking I must never dare to step off the asphalt for the ingredients and instructions for their recipes!
BTW... thanks, again, for the help with the Buffs!
Post a Comment