Friday, August 20, 2010

Downsizing

I am once again a day behind on blogging.  I am really making an effort to blog every day.  I use this blog as a journal and I'm really upset with myself for not keeping up with it, even if it's just a brief post every day.  I have a perfectly good excuse for not making an entry yesterday.  My friend and I spent the day looking at thriftstores.  It took a whole day to thoroughly gawk our way through 3 stores!  I love going to thrift stores for several reasons, but the 2 most important ones are that I can find great bargains, and secondly all the money I spend at the thrift store is put back into our community.

With just the 3 of us here now, I find it more and more difficult to downsize my recipes.  Especially when you consider that my 2 boys could eat as much as 3 grown men...each!  This is something that I have really been working on, since I can not stand to waste food.  As a result of this downsizing of meals, I have felt the need to downsize my serving bowls and dishes.  This may sound trivial, but when I work hard to prepare a meal, I like to present it at a set table that looks pretty.  Especially if you consider the fact that we grow much of what we eat, there may be months of preparation put into each meal.  So while we were on our thriftsore adventure I looked at serving bowls...and was thrilled with my new finds!  These 3 bowls look like they were a complete set, but we pieced them and their lids over the course of 2 separate stores!  Not a bad purchase for a total of less than $7 for the 5 pieces.
I also found this great soup tureen....I paid $7.49 for it but it is china.
The soup dish is a huge downsize from my other one....here's a size comparison...
And the other cool thriftstore find was this neat bread basket...worth the dollar I paid for it in conversation alone!

2 comments:

Tracy said...

HEY! That soup tureen in the next to the last picture, on the right (I think your 'current' one, as opposed to the new china one you bought) is the same pattern as my dishes! (I think it is called like homestead or homeland or something, I don't remember). I'm always watching for more pieces for my own grouping of that pattern when I go into thriftstores -- mainly because we have tended to break a few of my set over time.

Queenacres said...

I have the set also Tracy! We use it during the fall months. I'm wierd about dishes, I like a different set for each season...the homeland for fall, I have a set of christmas dishes, a green & blue set for winter/spring, and bright colors for summer. I found the Homeland tureen a few years ago at a thrift store for $15 with the original ladle. That thing holds a gallon or more of soup!