Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Hog Results

We spent the day today turning this hog....
Into some fine cuts of meat.  This was the largest how I've ever processed...and I've decided it's about as big as I ever need to grow one!  She weight taped at about 230# but I think she was bigger than that. 
Here's how it looked once we got it quartered....
The tally of the main cuts are:
hams - 46#
bacon - 38#
shoulder roasts - 20#
ribs - 5#
whole loin - 7#
chops & steaks - 7#
sausage and lard - 20#

Tomorrow we'll start the curing process for the bacon, grind & mix the sausage, render the lard, and get it all packaged for the freezer.  Not a day too soon either, since we're nearly out of pork. 
By the way, over the weekend we smoked the 2 hams from earlier this month.  They turned out really nice, but we haven't tasted them yet.  This is the first time we've cured & smoked hams that we had previously frozen...but it looks like it didn't make a difference.  Once I cook them I'll let you know if it had any effect on the texture or flavor. 

No comments: