Saturday, November 20, 2010

Back in the grind...

I've been busy getting Christmas gifts made...making gifts, sewing, and thinking about our blessings really lightens my heart. 

We made it a whole year without buying meat (other than the exceptions:  chicken tenders for the kids' birthdays, beef [because we don't have enough room to grow beef cattle], and the "country style" pork ribs.  Other than those exceptions, we made it through 12 months growing our own or using what we'd preserved!

Now that year is over and I've been taking advantage of all the sales!   Turkeys are on sale for .29/pound locally.  Our home grown turkeys cost about $2900 each.  At this point, I don't care what kind of turkey it is, it is meat that will feed my family for the next year.  I've got 8 in the freezer so far.

Pork butt roast is on sale as well.  Pork butt is actually cut from the shoulder, not from the...ham.  These are .99/pound.  I bought nearly 40 pounds for sausaging.  This leaves our home grown pork for chops, ribs, BACON, and loin.  In this case it's not the low cost of the meat (we grow it ourselves for about the same cost), but the fact that our home grown pork is so good, I hate to turn any of it into sausage.

Out in the milkroom we found out we had a mouse.
And we cleaned out this horrendous kid barn.  ICK
I'll be back to normal soon.  Whatever THAT is!

4 comments:

Mama Mess said...

WOW! Is that right? Two thousand nine hundred dollars each to raise a turkey???? We've never raised turkeys, just chickens for table.

I've been looking for really good turkey sales here but we haven't had any yet.

Queenacres said...

Well, that's the family joke, anyway.

a few years ago we ordered some BBW turkeys, raised them up and had a 46# dressed tom in the oven for Thanksgiving.

I have tried with Narragansetts, (that cost about 115 for 10-1day olds) then a trio of bronze (that was $100 plus gas) and then another batch (another $100 or so). We hatched a lot, and then lost a lot.

We have 4 hens and a tom (recently bought for $35).

Months of incubating and turning eggs. Months of brooding poults. None survived. Hours and hours of time, hundreds of dollars in feed. We now have 4 hens and 1 tom.

Yep, the price is 2900.00 if you'd like to buy one.

Flat Creek Farm said...

HI there, and nice to find your blog. I'm already loving that header :) How wonderful to go all year without buying meat. There must be *tremendous* satisfaction in that! I may follow your lead on buying up meat that is on sale too. Another way to save! Right now, I have to make some room in the freezer for some venison that's going in this week. That's a good deal too! -Tammy

Mama Mess said...

I understand! The cost of turkey poults is very very high. Perhaps I'll just stick with my Cornish X chickens!