Wednesday, November 10, 2010

I Lost My Little Princess Today....

We always called her the "Beautiful Princess"....much like you would call a Great Dane "Tiny".  She was full of...fire and opinion....and by golly she was right.  If you don't believe it, just watch her stomp her feet and bark in protest.  She was an itty bitty bit of ferocious and atrocious.  Her feet never touched the ground.  She looked from above at her "peasants"....with a caring eye and barking commands at us mere servants. 

She had a back injury a few years ago that left her paralyzed from the shoulders down.  With us working her legs and a number of other techniques, she regained use of her back legs, her bladder, and her bowels.  She inspired me to start a group for folks that have small animals that are paralyzed.  Her tail never again curled over her back...but she still watched over her domain with a kindness and concern that any good Princess would have.

She had a stroke on our bed this afternoon.  The vet didn't call it a stroke...but called it a "major neurological event". 

I held her in my arms as she took her last breath.  There is no way to explain the impact this little dog made in my life.  I will miss her....forever.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ohhhh, I am so sorry, Hon. As young as our two are right now - I still can't help thinking about the fact that the day will come when we'll have to say " good-bye " and it just rips me up inside. I hope you're able to look back and smile over good memories very soon.

Mama Mess said...

So sorry to hear that you lost your Princess!

Nickie said...

So sorry :( but bless you for doing what you could to help her. It is a lot of work taking care of an animal that is paralized.

Tracy said...

Oh! That's so sad. I know you loved her much. (((Hugs))) to you!