Monday, July 25, 2011

Summer Growth

I don't guess I need to comment on how HOT it is.  Seems like it's hot all over the country.  We have had a bit of a break from the heat today; it rained last night and today has been overcast.  It's been such an odd year for the garden....or lack thereof.  I guess this was the year to let the front bed rest.  The garlic is nearly ready to harvest, and the rosemary hedge is still growing....but my poor sage has been overtaken by grass.
The herb bed has exploded into basil.  Wow.  None of the other things in the bed have done very well, but the basil has thrived.  Good thing, too....basil is high in copper so I'll be adding it to goat feed over the winter...
We had built a temporary pen for our juvenile turkeys and had an interesting suprise....some of the milo (sorghum) sprouted!  The turkeys are enjoying the grains so much I'm thinking about planting some more for them....
The drought has been hard on our trees.  We've lost 3 so far this year, and 2 of them have actually come down during storms...
We've been blessed this evening by cooler temperatures and another short rain shower.  Sweet relief indeed!  Unfortunately the weather has not cooled even at night enough for us to start butchering.  Our Thanksgiving turkey is getting bigger every day and really struggling with the heat.
Speaking of turkeys, here's a nice picture of the tom that we've kept for breeding next year.  He's already bigger than his daddy and if he'd stay away from the goats he'd grow a beautiful tail....
Our little barn kitty is growing well too....he's healthy now and growing like a weed!
And he's not the only one that's made a recovery....Legacy is looking much better.  She's starting to feel her age a bit and I think she's developed some arthritis in her back or hips...but as long as she can move around without too much discomfort we'll keep pressing on!
 I sure am looking forward to fall!

No comments: