Saturday, July 30, 2011

Things to do...

Now that we've had a break in the weather.....yesterday and today it's stayed below 100º!!  I'm making a list of projects to finish this weekend before the next heat wave moves through.  During the coldest parts of the winter, I do as little outside as possible.  I really hate the cold, and as a result the minimums get done. 
That's how it has been during these 20+ days of over 100º heat.  I get up early in the morning but most of the time it is too dark still to get much accomplished.  So things get piled up, put off, and ignored.
One of those things would be our back patio.  This is our favorite spot to visit when the weather is mild.  I hope to get it cleaned and organized today so that as we have a few tolerable days we can enjoy it!
Also on the list, I plan to harvest all the basil from the herb garden.  I've got to get it all out of there and re-evaluate what needs to be done to make the bed productive for the Fall.  Needless to say I will be drying a LOT of basil this weekend!
Now that we have confirmed that one of our doe rabbits is indeed a buck...he's headed for freezer camp first thing Monday morning..
I also have to get my little bantam pen built this weekend.  My poor little bantam chicks are divided into two cages still....they have to be put in a pen to spread their wings and get some exercise....
Bob has finished a couple of projects lately too....he's got the door on the back of the kid barn....now I have to put screen on it, trim it out, and paint it....
Inside the kid barn we are using 2 of the stalls for storing bedding hay...the third stall is storing our does' grass hay....and Bob got the gate finished for it this week.  I will be getting some painting done in there as well....
Also on the list is to install this window on the milking parlor.  It will hopefully give me a bit of ventelation in there while I'm milking and working....
And it's time to sort the juvenile delenquent chickens into groups....meat birds (for breeding), layers, and meat birds (for eating).
The pigs are busy doing what pigs do....and hopefully we will have baby pigs before the end of the year.  For now they eat and grow.
And here's another project I've been putting off but it has to be done today.....defrosting freezer #1 *bleah*
It's a good thing we get to rest tomorrow!

No comments: