Not all of the goats were enjoying the cool weather...I gave Moon a haircut a few days ago...so this morning he wasn't leaving the man cave. He stuck his head out enough to let me know he was okay, but nope, he wasn't budging.
Once the sun was peeking through the trees, the girls piled in a pool of sunlight to soak up some rays...
Nommy took the opportunity to pose for a few pictures. I sure do love this girl and miss her mother, Happy. Nommy reminds me so much of her!
And talking about daughters...here are two of Legacy's daughters, Joy (the brown one with a cheek full of cud) and Silly (the black one)...
Here's Legacy's first daughter, Angel. I think she has the most unique facial markings...
And I can't show you goat faces without showing you my all time favorite Lace daughter....Glory.
Of course Aegis watches over all of them. Not sure what he's been doing at night lately, but he sure has been coming home with his share of scars...
The turkeys have settled into their new pen, and seem much happier now that they are dry!
And lastly, now that the pig has been processed, packaged, and put into the freezer. I finally got the cure on the bacon. Just to give you an idea of what 48 pounds of bacon looks like.....
Yes. 48 POUNDS!










2 comments:
I am in absolute... awe. How in the world did y'all get that thing to grow that huge?!! For as much as Dwayne likes his pork chops, you'd think he'd be so ready to get out there and build a pen for raising one. Where he comes off claiming they're nasty and they stink... I'll never know. After all the landmines he's stepped into this past week... you'd think he'd wake up!
Weldr, that pig was just over 2 years old. We've never let one grow that big before, but she was a sweet pig (first nice pig we've ever had in nearly 30 years). We kept hoping that she'd breed, but despite having 2 separate boars with her she never bred. If we'd have let her get any older the meat would have been too old and tough. Or pig pen is 30X30 and usually we buy 2 piglets in the spring and butcher in the fall. We raise them on goat milk, eggs, kitchen scraps, and bread from the bread store if we can get it....if not, we use a low-corn allstock pellet. If the pen is kept dry and they aren't fed pig feed, there's no smell. Here's how she looked 2 years ago, scroll to the end of the post, she's the pig on the right. http://queenacresonline.blogspot.com/2010/04/new-herb-bed-and-3-little-piggies.html
Post a Comment