Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Rainy Days Make Projects Slow

We've had a lot of rain lately....and I'm not complaining although the mud does make the work go a bit slow, and being bogged down makes more housework.  We've got a number of projects in the works, but first I wanted to share something exciting! 

I've tried to sprout mint from starters before, but never been very successful.  I do grow some peppermint, it's really good for tinctures....but my favorite mint is a sweet mint.  On the 27th I picked off a small sprig of the sweet mint that is sitting on the AP bed.  I stuck it into one of the grow baskets on the floating raft.  It's been 5 days....
Obviously the fish are putting some nutrients into the system!  Yesterday I planted 3 pots each of Dill, Basil, Bell Pepper, Onions, Peas, and Parsley.  I wanted to try starting many different types of seeds to see how they do in an AP system. 
I also harvested enough baby lettuce today to go into some roasted chicken & veggie roll-ups.

Speaking of harvesting....we have low temperatures predicted for the weekend.....it may be harvest time finally for MsPiggy....
We have to get everyone coordinated on this one...she is our largest ever butchering project.

I also wanted to share something that I've been working on this summer.  They are Black Soldier Fly Larva, and we've managed to keep them going since spring under the quail.  The larva are used for composting, but we've raised them as feed for the poultry.  If the chickens have a dry spell I can toss them a shovel or two of these larva and within a couple of days, they start laying again.  These little mealworms pack a big protein wallup and cost NOTHING to raise.
And one of the biggest projects we've got started is the livestock trailer we were gifted.  I hope to have it fit and pretty by next show season....
It's gonna take a lot of work, but I know we can get it done!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am constantly amazed by the things you manage to learn! I had seen those larvae in our compost bin. But we didn't have our chicks, yet. One of the things Dwayne and I have a lot of fun doing is bringing home the leftover minnows after fishing. Watching the hens running around with fish tails flopping between their beaks is pretty funny!

Queenacres said...

LOL!