Saturday, September 29, 2012

Ducks Killed in Overnight Rampage

Job 1:21 And he said: “Naked I came from my mother’s womb, And naked shall I return there. The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; Blessed be the name of the Lord.”

We have pictures that give us clues as to what happened, but in the end it doesn't matter.  Our Buff drake and 5 Buff hens were all killed. 

I picked up 17 eggs and put them into the incubator.  I don't expect a hatch, but praying for a miracle.

Last November we were gifted a pair of buff ducks (pictured in the banner above).  From them we were blessed to hatch 38 ducklings.  They provided a lot of meat for us, as well as others that came in to help on butchering days. 

We kept the drake, hen, and 4 offspring hens for breeding next year.  They began laying eggs a few weeks ago, but I put off collecting and incubating them.  I thought there would be plenty in the months to come. 

I was wrong.

4 comments:

Alla said...

So Sorry!!! I recently lost 6 out of 7 of my ducks. I was hoping for baby ducks this spring. I'm hoping your eggs will hatch.

by Chickory Blossom said...

what a heartbreaker, guess this is just part of the game. if homesteading was easy, everyone would do it. if at first you don't suceed, try, try again.
and again.
and again.
and again...

jean said...

How sad. I'm so sorry that happened. It is one of those things that sometimes happen when you have a farm and animals. Here's hoping you might get some little ducks from your eggs.

Unknown said...

Oh, my goodness. This is just so unfair. What are y'all suspecting as the culprit? Dangit, I am so sorry, Hon. You deserve to have some of those eggs hatch; if not, then every one of 'em. I hope and pray you get blessed with the compensation.