Friday, September 14, 2012

Update from this Week

It's been a very busy week, and we've got a number of projects in the works.  First of all, the bucks are in full rut again....which was Sparkin' Sparta's excuse for making a nuisance of himself.....and earning an all expense paid trip to solitary confinement. 
Not only would he not stay in the buck pen....but he jumped out of the kid pen as well.  So now he is in a stall.  With the barn doors closed.  I've threatened to make him some cement shoes to keep him still.  It's a good thing I loved his mama so much or he might have already been on the grill!

Speaking of grilling, we are hatching more quail out every day.  I plan to stop incubating them after this round though.  Really.  I can stop.  Anytime I want....
The turkeys are growing like crazy and we've split them into 2 pens now.....
Some of them will be fryer size within the next couple of weeks.  We like them between 8-10 pounds for deep frying...
We are waiting for cool weather and we'll finally get the pig into the freezer.  She will be our largest ever butchering project...I think she weighs around 600 pounds...
And I made 3 batches of Beauty Berry jelly this week.....this stuff is yummy!
We added fish and plants to the aquaponics system yesterday.  So far we just added a few lettuce and broccoli to the grow bed....and a dozen or so good sized goldfish.
I have more work to do.....it needs another 200 pounds or so of gravel, I'm going to change the water input for the growbed, and I'll probably do a partial water change since right now the water looks like this...
I want to make an external bio filter to help get the system started. 
Also on the to-do list is sprouting seeds to use as feed.  It's something I've been reading about for over a year and am experimenting with it now.  Eventually I'd like to have a fodder growing system large enough to feed all of our animals; and I'd like it to be part of our hydroponics system. 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You just really have this twisted dream of not being able to leave the drive-way... don't you. LOL I want that list of herbs you're chomping down. My 'git up n go' is gone. (Actually, we're gonna find out about gettin' me on thyroid meds next week.)

Queenacres said...

I had my thyroid removed about 12 years ago....and after 2 years they finally got my meds balanced. Then the stoopid Doc up and changed my dosage early this year....it took the wind right outta my sails. It's taken nearly 6 months for me to feel "normal" again. Hang in there, if it is thyroid, Synthroid will help! Also, if it is thyroid, avoid soy products.

by Chickory Blossom said...

ROFLMAO over Sparkin' Sparta. Told ya. But isn't he purty? Look at it this way...you are saving his life, coz i was ready to put him on the grill when he went to YOUR house!!!

You are weeeeaaaakkkk, you have lost all self controooollllll.....you have plenty more room for tasty morsels...you are the queen of quail...quail are goooooodddd

(has my attempt at remote hypnosis worked?)