We've been busy getting the AP system together. I really want a bare minimum system together before cold weather sets in. I am looking forward to fresh salads all winter!
The IBC container we bought is 325 gallons. The first step was to remove the top cross braces and remove the tank from it's cage...
Then remove the bottom of the cage at the first rung....
I used an angle grinder to do all the cutting, it just seemed to be the best tool for the job. Next we marked the tank for cutting. The top of the tank will be cut to a depth of about 10" and will serve as the growbed. The bottom of the frame shown above will be the frame that holds the growbed.
Again, using the angle grinder to do the cutting....you have a much smoother edge this way...
Next we marked the center of the frame floor. We have to cut an access hole in the metal frame to allow room for the lower end of the bell siphon...
This is only a guide....to let us know where to cut. This is reinforced steel, 3 layers to chew through....
Now we're ready for the assembly...first we drilled a 1" hole into the cap and used fittings and O rings to make the base for the standpipe for the bell siphon.
Then the cap is screwed onto the bottom of the growbed. Meanwhile, the fishtank and frame are moved into the greenhut, and the top support bars are replaced....
Note that I put them on the inside of the tank....this should keep the tank firmly in place in the cage...
Next the growbed is placed on top of the fishtank at a 90º turn....this allows access to the fish tank and to the drain pipe from the bell siphon...
The bell siphon consists of a stand pipe attached through the floor of the growbed...the black pipe (actually a 6" flowerpot with the bottom removed) is just a media barrier. Once the gravel is in the growbed the black pipe will keep it from falling through the siphon and gumming up the works.
A 2" pipe with cap is placed over the stand pipe....the cover pipe has slots cut in the bottom of it to allow water to enter the siphon....
After testing the siphon and letting it run through a few cycles.....I started working on gravel. This is over 100# of gravel that I've added so far. We only bought 700 pounds....I hope it's enough!
Here is a shot of the bell siphon as it drains the tank.....
Today we will be washing the gravel and getting it into the grow bed. We'll also be adding fish, starting with goldfish.














No comments:
Post a Comment