Tuesday, October 9, 2012

It's Tater Time


Potatoes are on sale here right now for .23/pound.  This is usually about the time I put up a year's worth of potatoes, which I do mostly by canning.  This year I will be preserving a good bit of them by drying them.  Once dried, they can be stored for many years.  They can be used like you would make au gratin or scalloped potatoes....or they can be rehydrated and fried.  I'm starting with 75 pounds:
First they are scrubbed well and sliced...
Then they are blanced in boiling water for about 4 minutes...
After blanching, they are plunged into a pan of ice water...
And then arranged on the dehydrator tray...
I've got a 9 tray Excalibur and it holds about 8 pounds of slices at a time.  It takes about 4 hours for them to dry...
Once cool and dry I bag them and store the bags in food grade buckets.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow. Only 4 hours? I want one of those puppies. The only time we've seen any kind of potatoes for that price around here would be the sweet potatoes at .28 cents per lb. And ya' almost have to fight off women to get to 'em! lol

Tonia said...

Awesome!