Thursday, January 31, 2013

Joyful Blessings!!

I am very pleased to announce the arrival of TRIPLETS!!
Joy was the last daughter born to Legacy.  This is her first freshening, and our first really good indicator of how Manny's daughters will produce.  So far I'm thrilled with what she's doing.  Except for the first milking for colostrum, she is steadily filling a 2 quart jar at each milking.  Her teats are a bit short, but they are smooth and elastic and I'm sure will lengthen a bit as she matures.  She is a super fast milkout.
Bred to Ditto, these kids have certainly not disappointed me a bit!
Joy labored quietly all day, waited for me to finish barn chores, and got her settled into the birthing stall.  Within just a few minutes of coming in the house to watch her from the barncam....she started pushing.  As I checked my kidding supplies and looked back at the cam....baby #1 was coming out.  I got there just in time to dry her off...
Weighing 4# 4.2 oz is Queenacres Harmony Hue
"Harmony"
Next, with barely enough time to get Harmony clamped and cleaned....
Weighing 5# 7.8oz is Queenacres Hummus
"Hummus"
I knew by the small size of the kids that there was probably another one.  So we waited.  And waited.  I went in to check on the babies, which had been settled into the playpen in the house.  Girl #2 was coming breach....and was hanging by her head.  She was a bit slow to get started but her lungs are clear and she's doing great...
Weighing 4# 2oz is Queenacres Hopeful Hazina
"Treasure"
This was our first kidding of 2013, and the smoothest kidding I can remember...not to mention the babies are beautiful! 

Lots going on here, I have been under the weather so it's been a struggle to get things posted.  I'm feeling much better and there's lots to do!

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Ohhhh!!!! Congratulations! They are adorable!!!! Sorry you haven't felt good but glad your on the mend. Does the mama goat not chew the cord off? Do you not let them nurse their mom to get the colostrum? I'm going to die from stress and ignorance when my girl kids! I'm already freaking out LOL!!! I can't wait for the blessed day, but I'm nervous for everyone involved!!!!

Queenacres said...

In most cases we pull the kids at birth. This allows us to sell the kids once they are disbudded and tatooed and we can control who gets the milk. It's really important during a "buck" year...the bucklings would get way more milk than we would. We also pull the kids to prevent the spread of CAE.

Unknown said...

Wow! Ohhhh, Wow! Don'tchya' know Legacy is just dancin' and prancin' with pride!

Congratulations, Girlie! They're gorgeous! Love all that black on Harmony! Can't wait to see front shots when things calm down!