Right after Christmas I was able to buy cabbage for .19/pound. It's been years since I've seen it on sale that cheap...so I bought 6 heads. Since we cook cabbage for New Year's dinner, I was able to use 2 heads for that....but was still left with 4 heads. I decided to do something I haven't done in years....make kraut!
The first step is to gather and sanitize your equipment. This is a fermentation process, and you want only the good bugs to grow...
I have a ceramic pickling crock, but since I want to do a 5# batch, I'm using a plastic bucket for this batch...
Start by cutting the core from the cabbages...
Next it needs to be cut into shreds...
You don't have to get the exact weight, but get close to 5 pounds...
Have I mentioned how handy these tubs are? I have a stack of them and use them for all sorts of things!
Once you have 5 pounds shredded, you start salting. Use a pickling salt or kosher salt...so that you know there are no additives...3 heaping Tablespoons...
I work in 3 batches so that I can mix each spoonful of salt evenly. Once the salt is mixed in, begin to layer the cabbage in the bucket. Put in a thin layer, then smash it down well with your fist, add another layer, and smash....until you've added all of the cabbage...
Next, add a non-metallic plate and press down firmly..
On top of the plate, I use a 2 quart jar filled with water as a weight....
Then sit it in a cool room and wait. After a few hours, the juices should be pressed from the cabbage and should cover the plate. If there's not enough juice (sometimes the cabbage is a bit dry) by tomorrow afternoon, then I'll add a brine solution. The liquid must cover the plate in order to seal the cabbage underneath, and allow the fermentation process to begin. It will take a couple of weeks for it to be ready.
I'll keep the blog updated with the kraut's progress. I'll be making some bratwurst soon to go with it!










2 comments:
I travel for sauerkraut :)
LOL! I love it too!
Post a Comment