Monday, February 18, 2013

Gonna Be A Doozey!

I thought we were going to have a light kidding season.  I thought that only a few of the does had settled.
I was wrong.
BOY was I wrong!
I can't remember the last time I had 11 does freshen in one season.
Right now it looks like the only doe not settled is Angel, and possibly Glory.  Good, I wanted her to take a year off.
Keep in mind, we've already had 4 does freshen since Nov 28; plus it looks like all of these girls are bred:
Nommy X Pete - due 3/1
Fiona X Sparta - due anytime
Genesis X Beaux - due 5/9
Fame X Sparta - due April or May
Pie X Pete - due 5/5
Ginger - really hoping I'm wrong on her it would be an oopsie breeding by Sparta.
Farrah X Sparta - due April or May
And all except Fiona are first fresheners.  Oh my!  They are all due before May 13 (+/- 5 days).  I'm so anxious to see these babies!
Fiona got moved to the day spa 2 days ago.  Last year she gave me no warning that she was about to pop....and had her baby in the loafing area overnight.  This year I'm not taking any chances, the barn cam is on....
And Joy's babies have hit another milestone.....they are finally on the lambar bucket!
I've made a number of feeding buckets this year since the kids will be so spread out in age.  Holly and Rita are down to 1 milk feeding per day....sometimes 2 if it's really cold.
Harmony and Treasure still get 3 feedings per day.
It won't be long and we'll start again.
I sure am ready to get cheese going! 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Do you ever remember being a total wreck with those very first babies ever born under your watch?

I'm one of those totally understandable people when it comes to the absolute need for ' flexibility ' when it comes to raising animals. But we're about 2 months out from the first due date. And I'm already having visions of that bottle in that purple bag... with a crown lid!

Queenacres said...

Oh yea! My first goat kidded in 1989, twin bucks...both solid white. I thought what a shame that my very first kids would end up on a dinner table. I can still picture my sons at age 9 mons & 3 years old with those kids. My boys are now 25 & 23.

The nervousness never goes away, by the way. Every birth is different. Every birth is exciting as a new blessing from God takes it's first breath.

Kelly said...

Your going to busy! I enjoyed the post you linked to this one. That sounded like an exciting day. I'm going to thrift stores today to find a playpen to put goat babies in and some soft cheap blankies. I hope I am lucky and find it all today ☺