Sunday, April 22, 2012

Angel Babies and a Morning Surprise!

After working outside all day yesterday and watching Angel very closely.....finally at about 3:15 I saw this...
Everyone sprang into action and at 3:23 Angel delivered a 6# 8 oz bouncing baby boy we are calling 'Mikey'
I thought for sure she was going to give us all bucks again but at 3:52 she popped out a 5# 12oz girl we are calling 'Ginger'
Ginger is being raised as a bottle baby and she's a keeper.  No doubt in my mind this is Manny's daughter; there's no denying her ear shape and rear width......both of these characteristics are Manny's signature.  Mikey is being dam raised and will go to freezer camp in a few months.

Angel passed the placentas and all are doing well.  After a long day I slept like a baby, all is good.

Then I woke up this morning and of course first thing fed little Ginger before going out to check on Angel and Mikey.  As I walked out to the kid barn I noticed something coming from the loafing area.  It took me about 2 seconds to realize...it was a little black kid!  Sure enough, still a bit wet....but on her feet and healthy....Fiona gave birth to a single doe kid sometime around 6 am!
Weighing in at 5# 8.6oz is little miss yet-to-be-named.
This is Frodo's first kid!!  She is being raised as a bottle baby and will be offered for sale in a week or so.

Just to add to the excitement, we've got quail and ducks hatching like popcorn in the incubator...more on that soon!

3 comments:

by Chickory Blossom said...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
holy cow!!!! i guess she WAS bred!!! congrats!!! (think she could have a talk with Becky The Bad?)

Judy Jeute said...

So, what makes you decide to bottle feed or not? Totally curious as with llamas that is a TOTAL no no if at all possible, but it sounds like with goats it is sometimes a good thing, correct?

Queenacres said...

With dairy goats, you want to sell the babies as quickly as possible so that you can keep the milk rather than putting it into kids. Plus bottle kids grow up to be very gentle milkers.