Saturday, April 28, 2012

Pickling Beets and Smokin Bacon

It's been a busy day today; starting with pulling the beets from the garden...
I didn't plant very many, not only because I'm the only one in the house that eats beets....but also because the ultimate plan is to make pickled quail eggs....and for those you need pickled beet juice.
Still, these few jars will last me the year and I am really looking forward to the eggs.
First you trim the tops and then scrub them very well to remove the dirt.  Once they are scrubbed, place them in a pot and cover them with cold water.
Bring them to a solid boil for 10 minutes, then drain them and let them cool completely. 
Scrape the and cut them into chunks, place them into sterile jars, and add a few whole cloves to the jar.
While preparing the beets, make the pickle and bring it to a boil...
 The pickle that I use is:
1 cup water
3 cups vinegar
2 cups sugar
1 Tablespoon pickling spices
Strain the pickle and ladle it over the beets.  If you leave the pickling spices in, they will get bitter over time.
Cap the jars and process them in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.  They are so pretty...I can't wait to taste them...
Today our bacon was ready to smoke.  While getting the smoker going I rinsed and soaked the bacon in cold water...
After a few hours in the smoker it looks like this...
Once it's chilled in the fridge overnight in the fridge I'll slice it.
Guess what's for breakfast!

2 comments:

by Chickory Blossom said...

The goats didn't eat the beets when they had their little rampage. Doesn't this tell you something?

Still think you should throw some brussel sprouts in there.

ya know, just as long as you are canning nasty things.

The bacon does, however, make up for the rest.

Unknown said...

I can smell that bacon! Oh, my goodness!