I am really trying to get back to blogging. Not that things have slowed down any around here, in fact every day is just as busy and crazy as the day before. But it is sort of organized chaos.
Bob's new (not so new, he's been there a YEAR already! I can't hardly believe it) job has him commuting 1 hour each direction 5 days a week. That sounds bad, but honestly this job has been such a blessing! He loves it, loves the folks he's working with, loves his employer, and it also helps that it pays more than the job of 18 years that he left to take this one. I love his job because it has reduced his stress level by 10 fold, and as given us the opportunity to have a bit of money to do things that we've had to put off simply because the money wasn't there. It's not that we've got tons left over at the end of the month....but it is nice to be able to put back a little bit for a project and pay bills on time. God has always blessed us, but this has been a pouring out of His blessings and I humbly thank Him for it.
We've been richly blessed as a family as well. Our youngest son and his wife are expecting their second child any day now. I spent my life raising my children and I've been rewarded with the best grandchildren I could have ever asked for. All but 2 of the grandkids live a few hours away, so we don't get to see them as often; but our oldest daughter Stephanie works full time and I keep her 2 boys every day. So of course they are growing up to be little homesteaders too.
It certainly keeps me on my toes having little ones around the house every day again.
We've also been quite busy with the goats this year. We have attended a couple of shows, and we are also on Official DHIR milk test.
Our breeding priorities for our goats have not changed. Our goal is to provide homesteaders with quality milking animals that are affordable. Over the last 2 years we have been moving toward breeding goats that will produce for 2 years without having to freshen again. Not every homestead family wants to maintain a buck, but nearly every homestead family I know would like to have fresh milk available year round. Our goal is to have our does in milk for a minimum of 500 days. We are actually targeting for 600 day lactations. We have also set a minimum standard for our first fresheners....they must qualify for their star as a first freshener. (for Nubians 2yo and under, that means that they have 305 days to produce 1500# of milk, or 52.5# of butterfat, or 45# of protein). These guidelines help me know that I am providing folks with quality animals that will perform the job they are hired to do.
Of course we also breed for even tempers and breed character. Our goats are gentle, and learn to be handled by children from birth.
Well, that's my update for today, there's lots more to catch up on.
Such as:
THIS is the site of our new doe barn!! More on that later...



3 comments:
It's so exciting to go where God leads isn't it? I'm glad to see things are going well for you all!
Hiya Goodwife! It's great to see you post again! It's been a year since I've seen anything from you....how are you and yours?
We are all doing well. We are back in KY and have 3 acres to call our own. This time we are dong the homestead thing right, and this place will be paid for in just a little over 6 years! I'm getting Tulip and Star (my Kinder does) back from the gal I sold them to next weekend and I can't wait! We've got 19 meat birds that will be ready for the freezer in a few weeks and just put 3 hogs in the freezer. It feels so good to be getting back into the swing of things. Hey how's the great Chixperiement coming? I've thought about starting to blog again, but I'm working full time now and my heart just isn't in it anymore. I do miss all my blogging friends though!
Post a Comment