After building the new waterbed, it became obvious that we were in need of a matching dresser.
My mom's church has a huge garage sale every year, and this year I had some money put back and had my list. A solid wood dresser was on that list. The Lord says to ask and it shall be given (Matt 7:7-11). The dresser was there at the sale, and the price was right at $25!
The color and finish was not what we wanted but it was solid wood, well made, and in good condition.
Once we got it home, the real work began. I wanted to completely refinish it, and change out all the hardware. My goal was to give it a bit of a 2-tone color and keep the natural distressing that it's acquired over the years. To do that I sanded the layers of factory clearcoat and stain....but left a hint of the old finish....
The dresser body plus 9 drawers, a center door, and 2 mirrors....
I started with a heavy grit sandpaper....
Then sanded enough to smooth the wood a bit. This center door was a real challenge....
As were the mirrors. Here's a little comparison of before and after...
Once all the pieces were sanded, I began staining. I wanted to match the finish I had done on the waterbed. The one on the left has a layer of stain, the one on the right is sanded and ready...
It didn't take long to start to see it all coming together....
I think I matched the finish of the bed pretty well!
We still have to get new drawer pulls and mount the mirrors and center door...
And now to make a headboard and night stands!














1 comment:
That is BEAUTIFUL!! I think the best place to find solid wood furniture is at rummage sales or goodwill. They certainly don't make much of it any more!!
Post a Comment