Last week I was very busy selling goats, and bartered with someone to get 2 pot bellied boar pigs. She needed to get rid of the pigs, and I needed practice castrating before I have to do our big boar or piglets. Boar hogs are usually castrated a few weeks or months before slaughter because if left intact they can give an off flavor to the meat.
Today was the day. I have studied the procedure, had everything ready, and took the pig by the....feet.
WARNING: THE FOLLOWING PICTURES ARE A PHOTO DIARY OF MY VERY FIRST PIG CASTRATION. IF THIS OFFENDS YOU PLEASE DON'T LOOK. IF YOU LOOK AND YOU ARE OFFENDED, PLEASE DON'T LEAVE HATE MAIL OR MESSAGES....ESPECIALLY IF YOU BUY YOUR PORK FROM A GROCERY STORE.
Here's your last chance to back out....
Levi wrestled the little guy into position while I waited with the scalpel. I used a fresh blade for each pig, so that it was a nice quick cut (which heals faster) and less pain. The pigs squeal more from being held than they do the actual procedure.
A quick slice, then another to free the testicle and it's nearly done. Just a gentle tug and it is done. You don't have to make a second cut in the skin for the second testicle, but the outer muscle that holds it must be cut before you can pop it out.
Piggy #2 is captured and moved into "position"
We repeat the procedure with a fresh scalpel blade.
We have used Underwood Horse Medicine for any wounds or cuts on our place for a long time. It is an herbal based herb wound medicine and it is fantastic stuff. That is the brown stuff you see over the wound.
And it is followed by a sprinkling of baking powder (per the instructions on the wound spray). I know it sounds strange but I have used this stuff for a couple of years on anything from open gashes to puncture wounds and it works better than anything I've ever used. Obviously this is the first time I've used it for pig castration. Will keep you posted.
My dear friend taking the pictures took these next two as well. I know people eat these things...but I threw them to the chickens....I'll opt for eating the eggs the chickens produce!
And now for the most terrifying picture of all. My dear friend took the worlds most horrifying picture of me I've ever seen. My family has had a good laugh...
And lastly, once we made sure they were okay (I thought for sure I'd do something wrong and kill them).....they got out to root and got a big bowl of bread soaked with goats milk and eggs.
1 comment:
Ok- you are a true pioneer woman.. never in my wildest dreams do I think I could have the courage to do this.
No wonder you are so successful as a homesteader! You go girl!!!!
Post a Comment