Tuesday, April 6, 2010

More Chixperiment and other Spring Projects

The CornishX hens started laying again a few weeks ago and we have been incubating them every chance we get.  The original 3 hens are with Angus (RIR X Americana roo) and the cross has produced some very nice meat birds.  The 2010 chicks have been hatching since yesterday...
Here is a newly hatched RIR compared to our meat cross...

These are our first generation meat crosses....they are our Chixperiment birds grown up to be breeders.....They are the meat cross birds that we hatched last fall.  Our plan is to breed them (we kept 1 roo and 5 hens) this year for more meat birds...this would be generation B.  So far we have been happy with this cross; they are good foragers and have a great feed conversion rate.  They mature enough by 15-18 weeks to be a large broiler; they have a large breast and plenty of meat.  These hens have not yet started laying....but hopefully soon.  Until then we will keep hatching the original birds....and raising those for meat.

On another note, Bob worked on the garden spot for hours last night, and today I planted 4 rows of potatoes.  We've got a lot of work still to do, but so far here's what we've got...
This bed will also hold pole beans, tomatoes, peppers, watermelon, canteloupe...once the weather is consistently warm.

And still....we're waiting for goatie kids....Cilly and Delight are due April 14....

1 comment:

Mama Mess said...

I can't wait to start planting, but it's far to wet here right now. In mid may I'm going to pick up two Nubian doelings. I'm excited! I'll use them to start my own Kinder line.