Our broccoli is nearly finished. My seeds sprouted but didn't do well at all, and the 9 plants that I bought were apparently stunted. We got a couple of teeny heads and some leaves for stir fry, but the 6 still left in the ground won't be there long.
We have 4 garden beds not counting the ornamental bed by the water garden. 2 of the beds are brand new this year, but they seem to be doing well. Bed #1 is at the end of the driveway, and we've planted mostly cooler weather seasonal things; Buttercrunch Lettuce, Onions, Dill, Bush Cucumbers, Carrots, Arugula, and Cabbage. There are also a few things that hopefully will be there a few years; Sage, Boxwood Basil, Spearmint, Strawberries, and Greek Thyme.
Bed 2 is always at risk of being devoured by goats....but I planted it anyway. :) In here are Chives, Raspberries, Cucumbers, Spearmint, Peppermint, Terragon, and Stevia.
We will be able to harvest some of the lettuce this week....
If you have never tasted fresh Radish sprouts on a salad....you SHOULD! They are wonderful! Here are some we're letting grow up..
And the newest batch of Chives are sprouting...
Speaking of new sprouts....we had 3 goat kids born over the weekend! Silly gave birth to twin boys on Saturday....Weighing in at 6# 6.8 oz ...... KC Masterpiece...
And in this corner....weighing in at 6# 7.2 oz......Sweet Baby Ray....
Then on Sunday morning, Delight delighted us with a DOE kid! This is Queenacres Exceeding Endowment aka "Cedar"....born at 9:45 am Sunday and weighing in at 5# 5.4 oz. Not only is she a fabulous doe, she is the great grand-daughter to our buck Exadore that we lost a couple of years ago. She is also a granddaughter of Faith, my favorite doe.
And lastly....our turkeys are starting to lay eggs!! We have 2 turkey eggs in the incubator now....which, by the way is full of Gen B chixperiment eggs......
What a week!









5 comments:
Your babies are darling! What can you tell me about Nubians? The good, the bad, the ugly? I've been waffling back and forth for a year now about wanting to get a spotted Nubian doeling, but since I've never really been around Nubians I keep changing my mind. I've heard some terrible things, bossy, self suckers, and I can't believe they are ALL like that or they wouldn't be such a popular breed!!
Your beds look great! We are just now getting our garden in. I'm headed out to plant green beans right now. I'm going to have to try radish sprouts on a salad, I never thought of it!
Thanks for another great post!
Thank you! I can tell you all about Nubians...they are the best! :)
GOOD - They have beautiful flowing soft long ears.
GOOD - They have a lot of butterfat in their milk.
GOOD - They have wonderful herd manners.
MARGINAL - They love their people...some people see it as needy...I think it is charming, and so do most people that love their goats.
BAD - They do not produce the quantity of milk that the other standard sized breeds do. I tend to think of this as quality not quantity.
Take what people say negatively about a breed with a grain of salt. Often they saw the goat of that breed for a relatively short time and then denounce the whole breed! I don't have any nubians right now but LOVE them! I like that my animals are happy to see me and want my company!
Susan, I'm worn out catching up on your blog! The garden looks great. So far I have 2 Siamese cats "growing" in mine! The goat kids discovered the compost bin today (made from pallets) so have a new "playground" It's freezing at nights yet so too cold to plant anything but I'm itching to get at it!
What a cute little cutie pie of a kid. I see you planted Stevia. Do you dry and use for sweetener? I've wondered about it since my hubby is a diabetic.
I have used it fresh in a glass of tea with some mint leaves and it's really good. Since the plants just started there's not enough to pick a lot to dry yet, but it is the plan.
Post a Comment