Saturday, October 22, 2011

Canning Grapes

It's a rare treat for us to buy grapes, and very rarely do we find them at a price that makes them affordable to can...but that's what happened this week.  I found beautiful red seedless grapes on sale for $1/pound....so I bought about 25 pounds of them for canning!
Older, mushy grapes will not stand up to canning.  You need extra plump juicy fresh grapes for processing....these were perfect.  First they have to be picked off the stems and washed...
And I used white grape juice as the liquid for the jars, but you can use a light syrup...

Process them in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes....

25 pounds of grapes filled 37 pint jars....with enough grapes left for snacking.  These are great to mix in with jello, making fruit salad, or one of my favorite uses is mixing my own fruit cocktail using other home canned fruits.

No comments: