I had just put these seven roosters.....
Into these 7 jars......
I had planned to show you all the steps to the process (except the really graphic stuff)....but before I could get the post put together my G-I tract made it's own vacational plans. Apparently it was a working vacation....since I dropped enough weight that I am lighter than I have been in 10 years....AND I now weigh less than Faith Hill. Boy that looks really good until you that know my herd actually know who Faith Hill IS....and that she is no lightweight goat!
OH, and I weigh less than Bob.....I don't think that's happened since my first pregnancy. Now don't go thinkin that I got skinny! That would just be WRONG.
Anyway, the weekend after the roo processing we had scheduled in butchering a meat goat. A friend mentioned that I should be very careful if I continued with my plans because of the risk of contaminating the meat with my illness. *BLING* I had NEVER thought of it before! I would have pressed on because we have a goat, 3 lambs, and a pig to get done before the weather is too cold. I would have just kept working to get the job done. How dangerous that could have been!
I certainly do not want to spread any disease or virus to friends and/or family. That is why I am so careful with my canning.
Canning is a fantastic way to preserve. So is freezing. This got me thinking (remember I'm still in a state of dehydration and whining...actually whining x2 ).....
Canning VS Freezing....what are the advantages and dis-advantages of both?
Here is my take on the whole matter....
1) If I had been canning meat during an illness....there would be no threat of spreading the illness if the meat was properly processed. Canning KILLS the bacteria, and then leaves an airless environment in the jar if properly sealed and stored. Any bacterial growth is very apparent because the jar will lose the seal.
Freezing only halts the growth of bacteria. As soon as that meat thaws the bacteria grow. How long does it take between thawing and cooking?
2) Freezing uses electricity....AND it produces heat. That may not be a concern if you live in a cold climate....but if your outside temp is 100ºF for 90 days in a row.....it is a HUGE concern! Trying to keep a house at 85ºF and freezers at their proper 0º is a big problem that requires a lot of electrical usage.
3)When your power goes out...you can't go digging through your freezer. You need to shut the door and keep it closed. You've got about 2-3 days before you have to start.....you got it.....CANNING the food inside the freezer. Meanwhile, if you have been canning food throughout the year, you only have to open jars and eat the food.
On the other hand......
1) Fresh frozen meats can be cooked on an open flame and have MUCH better flavor and texture than canned.
2) Home canned corn bites. Frozen is better....fresh is best.
3) You can butcher, wrap, and process an animal much faster putting it into the freezer.


No comments:
Post a Comment