Friday, December 16, 2011

9 days Till Christmas!

This last week before Christmas gets very busy.  We don't do much shopping, but there are a lot of things to be made.  Yesterday I went to one of my favorite meat markets and got an outstanding beef roast to turn into beef jerky.  This beauty was just over 5 pounds, cost nearly $30....making it the most expensive purchase for the Christmas season....but it was perfect for what I needed.
I wrapped it and put it in the freezer for about an hour before slicing it into this...
Then made the marinade.  You can use any recipe you like, and I'm keeping mine in the family...but I will share a couple of my secrets.  I always use fresh garlic.  No garlic powder or dried garlic.  If I have to go dig immature bulbs to use or collect wild garlic so be it.  It MUST be fresh.  Also, I use candied ginger.  I have found fresh ginger doesn't have the same sweetness once dried, and don't even talk to me about dried powder ginger (no flavor).
And the last of my secrets.....is the soy sauce Kikkoman only...
Once the marinade is mixed, put the meat and the marinade into a big zippy bag and into the fridge.  I'll smoosh it around a couple times a day and it will sit in there for about 3 days.

Tomorrow I'll start the venison jerky.....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

One thing I do miss about home... meat markets. REAL meat markets. We haven't found one cut of meat done right, yet, after over 10 years! Kinda drowns " Git 'er done " with the sour bitters.