Monday, March 5, 2012

Duckies Maybe?

It has been years since we have raised any ducks.  Our last duck effort was with Muscovy ducks, and we were quite successful in our endeavour until the neighbor's dogs brought that project on a screetching halt.  We had Muscovies for a few years, raising many ducklings....but never had them hatch successfully in the incubator.  If mama duck didn't incubate them, they didn't hatch.

About a month ago we began collecting eggs from our Buff duck.  Since they aren't great moms, I started filling the incubator with duck eggs.  The first fertile egg was dated 2/6 and the little duckling is trying it's best to get out of the shell....
I am spritzing the incubator with water every couple of hours to keep the humidity up.  I hope the little guy makes it....he will pave the way for the 20+ eggs that are coming up behind him.

No comments: