Don't you sometimes hate it when someone says "it was for the best"?
In this case it is very appropriate and true. After working on little Kabob round the clock for two days we made the decision to put him down. He had no sucking reflex so I had to tube feed him. For the last 24 hours of his life it was a sodium bicarbonate solution every 2 hours. He was completely prone and his eyes said it all. He was a young buckling that should be up and bouncing offa the barn walls; not being tube fed and poked with needles every day. It's ironic that I will work so hard to save an animal that is destined to become our food one day; but it is true. Each one is here for a purpose, sometimes it's just to remind us how fragile they can be. It is my responsibility to give them a good quality life for the time that they are here. Otherwise we are no different than a factory farm that looks at the numbers and the bottom line and uses those numbers to turn animals into disposable commodities.
He was not disposable, God put him here for a reason. We did the best we could for him.
By the way, his brother Cabrito is doing very well. Pie is very attentive and as of last night he is nursing well. I'll still give him a supplemental bottle here and there until I am sure he is eating well enough on his own, but so far so good.
4 comments:
Dad-gummit. I was hoping for a better turn-out. But it could have been much worse. Could have been the whole bunch. You're not gonna believe this. Got a text today, from the ppl that we bought the boys from. They're asking us to show Artist in a local low-scale exhibition show. I think it's more about PR. Either way, we're happy to help. But it would have been nice to have more time than less than 2 weeks. lol
I am so sorry... Do you give BoSE shots? We have to give BoSe shots here.. I was having trouble with various things and after some research decided that it was Selenium deficiency.. Adding BoSe has made a Big difference....
Weldr have fun with the show! I think it's cool that they asked...better get brushin and spit polishin that boy! :)
Tonia, yes we give BoSe. At first I thought it was white muscle since both boys seemed affected, so I even gave them each an extra shot. I opened up Kabob just so I'd know for sure....and I'm sure it was floppy kid. His muscle tissue all appeared normal. I think the FKS hit him so hard and fast that there would have been months of treatment required to bring him through....if he came through.
Post a Comment